1. Angkor from the air
Enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience overlooking the temples of Angkor from the air on a thrilling helicopter flight. Gain a sense of the vast scale of this great Khmer icon before continuing your temple discovery on two feet with your expert local guide.
Admire the mighty temples of Angkor from above
2. Siem Reap countryside cycling
Known as the gateway to the temple of Angkor, Siem Reap, with its French-colonial architecture and thriving arts scene, has itself become a top-rated destination.
On this new but already popular experience, cycle along the quiet country trails through rice fields and charming Cambodian villages. Make multiple stops along your trip and take time to meet local villagers to better understand their everyday life.
Weave your way around the quiet trails in the countryside around Siem Reap
3. Phnom Penh walking tour
Although it bears the marks of a tragic recent history, Cambodia’s riverside capital is abuzz with youthful energy and optimism. And it is ripe for exploration by foot!
Discovering the reinvented capital by foot is the best way to acquaint yourself with this captivating city. Explore the backstreets and spot the many examples of French-colonial architecture and visit the National Museum with its art and artefacts, many of which date back to prehistoric times.
Learn about Cambodia’s regal past with a visit to the majestic Royal Palace before immersing yourself in the city’s thronging art-deco Central Market. In the afternoon, learn about the Khmer Rouge at the chilling Tuol Sleng Museum.
A local guide explains the history of the Khmer empire at the Royal Palace
4. Taste Traditional Lao coffee
In the bustling capital of Laos, delve into our favourite local coffee stall in Vientiane, for a taste of the traditional Lao coffee brew.
Try some freshly brewed Lao coffee
5. Northern Laos Explorer
Discover this enchanting part of Asia on a unique 8-day tour through northern Laos, a few of our highlights are:
- Soak up the laid back charms of the upper Mekong on a slow boat cruise towards Pakbeng.
- Visit the local market in Pakbeng, before crossing the Mekong for an unforgettable elephant trek experience.
- Pass rural villages and forested scenery to Muang La Resort. A small and innovative accommodation, nestled by a picturesque river.
- Visit the quaint Muang Noi town, situated in the foothill of giant limestone karsts. Take in the spectacular views of soaring cliffs overlooking the Nam Ou River.
- Admire the Pak Ou caves, carved out of towering limestone cliffs that contain thousands of Buddha statues.
- Drive to the UNESCO protected town of Luang Prabang and experience old world Asia. Find out why this this tranquil World Heritage listed town is a favourite stop for travellers to Laos.
Escape to peaceful surroundings along the Nam Ou River
6. Vat Phou Mekong Cruise
Experience the waterways of rural southern Laos on a converted rice barge on this 3 day cruise, highlights include:
- Explore the boats namesake, temple Vat Phou. Enjoy the tropical sunset from the boat’s deck before docking at a local village for the night.
- Uncover the hidden forest temple of Oum Moung. Float through the beautiful 4,000 Islands, then stop at Khong Island to experience traditional Laotian village life.
- Take a long-tail boat to Khone Island, and dine on the mainland amid colourful French-colonial houses. Drive to a stunning waterfall near the Cambodian border, before returning to Pakse.
The Vat Phou Mekong cruise through southern Laos is a must in this little visited region.
Experience the very best of Laos and Cambodia on a single trip. Our 14-day Laos and Cambodia Experience has departures throughout the year. Until the end of June, we’re offering 10% off all Small Group Journeys to Cambodia and Laos. Click here to find out more.